Prelim Task

Opening Sequence

Saturday 22 January 2011

Main inspiration on how to start own film + credits



The title sequence of Memento was the main inspiration for my opening sequence, from everything from the music to the credits, Memento paved the way for the making of my opening sequence and I am sure it will for many more. Just like Memento, my film has a non-linear narrative as it opens near the end. Furthermore, the characters are introduced in a similar way to Memento, they are introduced through photographs, this is a unique and quicker way to introduce the main characters without actually showing them.

I wanted to make my opening sequence mysterious, just like Memento i used voice overs of the characters, it was dialogue from different parts of the film, these where used as clues for the audience to try gain some knowledge about the story. Also close-ups of significant objects were used as clues for the audience to link together with things, for example, in my opening sequence, in one scene there is a close-up of a baseball cap on the floor, if the audience focuses they will be able to associate the cap with the character Nicholas as there is a photo with him wearing it earlier on in the opening sequence. The soundtrack of Memento was also inspiration for my own film, it had a theme of mystery and built tension while keeping the audience engaged, I also chose a soundtrack that done the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment